Monday 24 June 2013

Hypothyroidism

This is something I happened to be born with even though I was diagnosed at the age of 8. You'd think that in the 17 years since then, I'd have control of it. Sadly I don't. It's nothing major but it can affect the way you are.
What is hypothyroidism?
It's a condition where the thyroid gland doesn't produce enough thyroxine. Thyroxine is a hormone that helps to keep the body's functions (the metabolism) working at the correct pace. Many cells & tissues in the body need thyroxine to keep them going correctly.
What are the symptoms?
Basically, many body functions slow down.
The most common symptoms include:
Tiredness
Weight gain
Constipation
Aches
Feeling cold
Dry skin
Lifeless hair
Fluid retention
Mental slowing
Depression

The less common symptoms include:
Irregular/heavy menstrual periods
Loss of sex drive
A hoarse voice
Infertility
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Memory loss & confusion in the elderly 

Symptoms usually develop slowly, & gradually become worse over months or years as the level of thyroxine in the body gradually falls.
What are the possible complications?
It's more likely to develop complications if left untreated. There's an increased risk of developing heart diseases. For those that get pregnant, there's an increased risk of pregnancy complications such as:
pre-eclampsia
anaemia
premature labour
low birth weight
stillbirth
serious bleeding

There's also a hypothyroid coma (also known as a myxoedema coma), but that's very rare!
How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
With a simple blood test.
How is hypothyroidism treated?
You'll need to take levothyroxine tablets each day. I've read and been told it's ideal to take the tablet on an empty stomach and before breakfast. But you do have to be careful with foods that are rich in calcium and iron. These may interfere with the absorption of the levothyroxine from the gut.
Are there any side-effects or problems from treatment?
Usually not. If you have angina, there may be stronger pains but talk to your doctor more. 
If you take too much, it can lead to symptoms & problems of an over-active thyroid. This can increase the risk of developing osteoporosis.
Other medicines may interfere, such as:

iron tablets
carbamazepine
phenytoin
rifampicin

Your doctor will advise you, and you'd need blood tests to make sure you're taking the correct dosage.
If you have hypothyroidism, you are entitled to free prescriptions.

As of today, I've been taking my tablets for 32 days. It doesn't make up for 2 and a half years of forgetful phases to take my tablets, but it's a start and I have the support of Phil and my besties. So far, I'm actually feeling worse than I used to. But that's what the doctors are for... to help me get on the right dosage. No doubt I'm going to need to take a higher one. 

I will be writing about my journey to become 'me' again *smiles*.

I'd love to thank you, lovely readers, for reading this little blog. 


L x



Image taken from Google Images and can be found here.
More information can be found on this website also.

No comments:

Post a Comment