Tuesday 19 March 2013

A Thrifty Wedding

As mentioned in a previous post, we went to a wedding fayre. Helped kick us into gear about getting this wedding planned!
There's 16 months until Phil and I get married. I know many of you may think that is plenty of time to plan a wedding. So would I. However, I've been told otherwise. I've been told to send out 'Save the Date' invites out in the next month or so. The plan is to do a lot of this home-made and save some pennies!

'Save the Date's
The plan is to take a picture of the church we are marrying in, get them printed, and try and create postcards.  Phil wants the little reminder that I'm originally from a seaside town. Hopefully that can be done in the next couple of weeks! I'm being given some photo paper, so we've saved some money there. Always a good thing!

Invites
As this is going to be a small intimate occasion, we decided that we could even try doing homemade invites. 
I was given a calligraphy set and ink cartridges for a birthday present so I need to practise that for a bit before attempting the final product. Paid £4.99 for a pack of blank cards and envelopes from The Works, and not all of them will be needed.

Flowers
The amounts we got quoted at the wedding fayre was obscene! Decided to just simply buy the flowers ourselves and make the bouquets ourselves. Would save a lot of money!!

Cake(s)
We keep having discussions over this. The first stall we went to, the cakes looked too much, and tasted so dry! The second stall, however, lovely! And they were gluten free! We did agree to arrange a tasting session to figure out whether or not, we want to go in that direction. Need to find out about dietary requirements.

Photographer
We're having an old friend of mine be the photographer. I've always been a fan of her work. I know I'm biased as she's my friend, but Phil checked out her stuff on Flickr and said yes!
Phil's brother and his fiancee gave us an initial quote of £500 for a photographer, took that as a challenge... the quote we got off my friend? More than 50% off.
The videographer is actually Phil's brother in law, although we do have to officially ask him, haha!

Dresses
I don't have many bridesmaids. So far, there's Phils sister and my maid of honour is my best friend, JamJam, from my hometown. Both have completely different personalities and I would like that to reflect in what they wear. As mentioned in a previous post, we went shopping, and I found a lovely dress that I thought would look great for one of them! Need to find a place that can alter it so it will fit perfectly.

The picture really doesn't give the dress any justice.


Centre pieces
Has anyone ever flicked through Pinterest? It's amazing!! So many ideas on there. We've gone for the empty jars to put flowers in. So far, I think we have about 10 saved. Not sure how many is actually needed... but any excessive jars will come in handy.

Decorations
Has anyone seen that episode of Superscrimpers where they did a wedding special?
They made paper pom-poms out of tissue paper. We both liked that idea. 
The plan is to go to the venue and take photos to help inspire us. 

Favours
We've actually asked Phil's Dad to help us with these. Don't want to give too much away about this as obviously we want it to be a surprise for the guests. But they'll be homemade. Again, saving pennies!

Transportation
No idea on what sort of car to have to transport us from the church to the reception venue. I'm probably going to be walking to the church from the future in-laws.
Anyone got any recommendations?

Reception & DJ
We've managed to 'score' a really good deal with this. We both know the owner of a really nice b&b and barn. Phil through business, me through regularly staying at the b&b. £60 for the barn for the entire day, and a DJ for the price of two bottles of red wine. We're going to be asking guests for songs that they would love to be played.Guaranteed to have people dancing this way!

Presents for the family after the wedding
You know the frames you get in school photos? We received a bunch off someone from Freecycle. We originally was going to use these and adjust them to use as the invites, but more and more people started cancelling. Instead, we decided to use them to frame wedding photos for the family members that we know will love to get a photo of us. There's a use for everything!


So far, the wedding has physically cost £13.99. Not bad, eh?

Has anyone got any tips etc? Anyone else a fan of Pinterest?

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment