Monday 11 March 2013

Mothers Day bake

Had a very busy few weekends. And of course, it was Mothering Sunday this past Sunday. Which means there's a gathering! Phil's Mum has been amazing to me. She's shown me love and support when I had a fallout with my own mother, and at the moment she's got some health issues, so I wanted to show my love in some form. And for me, that seems to be through cake or something I've made.
I found the recipe through either a Tesco or Asda magazine. 
Was very rushed as well. Realised the time too late and had to quickly make it. 

It is meant to be Malteser's Millionaire Shortbread... but we had no Maltesers. However, we did have Magic Stars, chocolate biscuit balls and chocolate curls.


  
 FOR THE BASE

1. Preheat your oven to 160oC/Gas 3.
2. It says in the recipe to line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper. I ended up using two normal round cake tins.
3. You need 180g plain flour, 125g butter and 50g caster sugar.







4. When the mix comes together, remove and press into your tin(s).
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.









6. Remove to cool. I will warn you, it smells delicious! Very tempting to nibble on just like this.





THE UPPER LAYERS 

1. Put 150g butter and 150g dark soft brown sugar (although I do advise to use less - your taste buds would thank you) into a saucepan. Stir until melted.
2. Add the contents of a 397g can of condensed milk.










3. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened slightly.
4. Immediately pour over the shortbread base.










5. Pop this into the fridge to set.














6. Time to crack on with the topping! The recipe calls for 200g milk chocolate. I ended up using 300g thanks to misreading either the recipe or the shopping list.
Carefully melt the chocolate in the microwave. Let it cool a little so it feels more gloopy. (I know that's not a word, but I'm sure you'll understand haha!)
7. Pour over the set caramel.







As you can see before we popped the finished results into the fridge, we topped one with Magic Stars (that's ours!), and for the one we took, we used both the biscuit balls and curls.


There was some left over chocolate as expected... enough to make 4 cornflake cakes! :)



I had a lot of good reviews during the evening when everyone tucked into the buffet that was laid out. 
I wish I was able to take better pictures to show the true yumminess of the whole process, but in between the rushing, and jumping in shock when Phil celebrated a football goal, just wasn't possible.


In other news, I got a job interview this Thursday! So nervous and excited, all at the same time. Going to spend tomorrow going through my clothes to see what will be the best outfit to wear. It's for a posh looking opticians. Hopefully they'll find me suitable after. 

Need to start earning funds for the wedding next year! That's my main focus at the moment....

How was everyone's weekend?

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment